Message Board for Jack Bradbury Comics Website

Post a reply || Back to Message Board for Jack Bradbury Comics Website

Re: Brush or Pen?

Delete this post Submitted by Dave Bennett <bennettoons@earthlink.net> on 26/Jun/2010 in reply to Brush or Pen? posted by Mykal Banta on 24/Jun/2010

Jack used brushes exclusively - - I'm actually a bit surprised that anyone would think otherwise. I've never seen a pen flexible enough to produce the exaggerated thick-thin lines that Jack Bradbury used with such mastery!

I even have a few of his brushes that he gave me when he was cleaning out his studio for a move -- he told me that he would sometimes prune hairs from the brush head with a razor in order to increase its flexibility!

In response to your question about interviews with Jack Bradbury -- there are a couple of good ones in the ACE comic book called 'The Art of Jack Bradbury' and another one in an issue of Comic Book Marketplace from 2 or 3 years ago. They're both gleaned from about 3 hours of taped discussions I had with Jack.

And one of the first and best interviews was done with Klaus Strzyz in about 1978 for a German Donald Duck fan magazine. "Walt's People Vol. 9" has another of Klaus' interviews with Jack.

And - I don't know if you'll even see this, but adding comments to your Blog is a little too arcane and difficult -- that Perkins Pooch story you recently showed hinged on a little factoid that Jack found fascinating = he told me that he saw in an issue of National Geographic that foxes used that trick of wading into water to remove fleas . . . and he couldn't resist weaving it into one of his stories!

Replies to this post

Reply to this post

Name:

E-mail (optional):

Subject:

Insert styled text: Bold | Italic | Underlined
Disable styled text